Do you walk into a room or area of your home and hear a constant buzzing sound? Not only can those buzzing noises inside your home drive you a bit nuts, it can also be a sign there is a major problem. Buzzing noises can point to a problem in your home’s electrical system. The buzzing can be coming from light switches, outlets or the wiring. When buzzing occurs it is important to seek professional help right away. Burley Electrical Services will share more about the buzzing sound in your wall and why it is important to seek professional help.
Causes of Electrical Buzzing Sound in Walls
Buzzing in the walls can come from a number of different electrical sources. To stop the buzzing you will need to determine where it is coming from. There are a few common sources of electrical buzzing that can help you start, such as:
• The electrical connection inside an outlet or light switch is going bad.
• The screws that fasten the electrical wiring to the outlet or light switch has come loose.
• If the buzzing is next to the electric or gas meter on the outside wall, the meter may need to be replaced or repaired.
• Buzzing noises that is coming from a half opened air vent can be due to high air pressure.
• If the buzzing is coming from a ceiling fan, turn off the ceiling fan and see if the buzzing stops. The ceiling fan may be going out.
• Not quite a buzzing noise, but instead a humming sound coming from a light bulb is common in Fluorescent bulbs and they are simply wearing out.
Risk of Electrical Fire
When you hear buzzing that is coming from an outlet, light switch, or wiring, it can lead to a more serious problem. Loose connections, damaged, or exposed wiring can cause a fire. Outlets or light switches may require replacement or the electrical connection might need to be inspected and rewired to ensure safety. If wiring has been damaged, the wiring will need to be repaired or replaced depending on the severity and location. Buzzing from light bulbs themselves is a sign the bulbs are going bad and not a major threat. However, if the buzzing is coming from the light fixture connection in the walls and ceiling, again the wiring connection can be damaged or loose. The light fixture connection will need to be inspected and if needed repaired. When outlets, and not the wiring is compromised, the outlet will need to be replaced. A sign that the outlet is going bad is when the buzzing gets louder when in use. You can do a quick test by plugging in a vacuum cleaner or other electrical device. If the buzzing gets louder, avoid using that outlet until it is changed out.
Electrical Inspections, Wiring & More in Pompano Beach, Imperial Point, Plantation, Deerfield Beach, Boca Raton, Davie, Lighthouse Point, Parkland & Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Do not ignore buzzing sounds coming from your home electrical system. Buzzing is a sign there is a problem in the electrical system. Many home fires begin with a simple buzzing in the walls. To prevent a major disaster make sure to have your home inspected by an electrical service and locate the source of the buzzing. For professional electrical services, contact Burley Electrical Services today. For more information, you can also visit www.burleyelectric.com.