According to the National Fire Prevention Association, electrical malfunctions are the second leading cause of house fires in the U.S. The cause of a significant portion of these fires are electrical distributions, such as wiring and breaker boxes. Today, we at Burley Electrical Services would like to discuss the signs of electrical problems.
Circuit Breaker Trips Frequently
It is common for a circuit breaker to trip. When you’re running multiple appliances from the same circuit, circuit breaker will definitely trip. At some point, an overload is bound to occur. Frequent circuit breaker trips should raise a red flag, however. Your electrical panel needs to be upgraded as it can be a dangerous problem lurking in your home’s electrical wiring. Electrical panels last about 25 to 40 years. The electrical demands of today’s homes cannot be met with outdated panels. It would be in your best interest to upgrade to a 200-amp electrical panel if you’re installing new appliances, such as a larger refrigerator or hot tub.
Electrical Wiring is Frayed
Frayed wiring should never be ignored. Contact an electrician because this is a dangerous fire and shock hazard if a wall is exposed during a remodeling project, and you see that the wiring is frayed.
It’s not out of the norm from your lights to flicker on and off during a powerful thunderstorm or windy weather. A tree branch may have fallen on a nearby power line. Your home’s electrical wiring may need to be upgraded if your lights begin to flicker on a regular day. The old wiring may not be able to handle the increased energy demands of your home.
Electrical Outlet Discoloration or Smoke Comes from It
Don’t wait to take action if you have started to smell or see smoke in your home. Where there’s smoke, there’s fire. You may also notice signs of damage after further investigating the issue. Scorch marks on an outlet needs an immediate response. Loose wiring inside the outlet, causing an arc is the likely culprit. Be sure to unplug all of your appliances until an electrician arrives to be on the safe side.
Warm or Vibrating Electrical Outlets
Take note of a warming feeling when close to an outlet. If the outlet is properly functioning, it should be cool to the touch. You may also notice a vibration coming from the outlet, which usually is due to damaged wiring. Your home could become completely engulfed if a cord plugged into the wire happens to catch on fire.
Electrical Outlets & Fixtures Make Strange Noises
You can uncover a potential wiring problem when you hear odd buzzing or sizzling sound coming from an outlet. Electric noise can also be produced in light fixtures. You can’t rule out bad wiring as the culprit while replacing the bulb may solve the issue.
Old Aluminum Wiring
It’s time to have its wiring updated if your home was built during the late ’60s or early ’70s. Many homes of this era featured aluminum wiring. Buildings with aluminum wiring are more than 50 times more likely to experience fire damage, according to research. Because it is more resistant to heat, copper wiring is safer.