Because our lives are so entwined with technology, having a power surge hit your home can be expensive. This can cause significant damage to your appliances and other devices found throughout the home. It leaves many homeowners wondering what they can do to avoid things like power surges in their homes. Burley Electrical Services is here to share some tips to help you protect your home against a power surge the next time a large storm hits the area.
What Would Cause a Power Surge?
For those that don’t know what a power surge is, this is when there is an unexpected increase in voltage that surges throughout the electrical circuits in your home. This can push way too much electricity through the outlets in your home and the devices that are plugged into them. Even if all of your devices are turned off, they can be damaged by a power surge. Common ways that a power surge happens include:
– Lightning: This is the most dramatic way that you can have a power surge in your home. It can cause significant damage to your home’s electrical system if there is a lightning strike.
– Downed Power Lines: High winds can often be the reason that power lines go down. When this happens, it puts your home at a high risk of a power surge.
– Bad Wiring: Old, cracked or frayed wiring can be the culprit of power surges as well. It can cause lights to flicker, a buzzing or humming and you are at a risk of not only power surges, but an electrical fire as well.
– High Power Demand: If there is an especially hot day that leaves many people in the area using their AC systems, it can lead to power surges. Anytime power is in high demand, everyone is more susceptible to it.
How Can I Protect My House from Voltage Fluctuation?
There are ways that homeowners can protect their homes against power surges though. Here are some of the best ways to make sure your home is protected.
– Use Surge Protectors: There are some power surges that you can’t prevent in your home, but when you plug your appliances and devices into a surge protector, it can offer you some protection.
– Whole Home Surge Protection: If you live in an area where power surges are common, you might find that a whole home surge protection system will pay for itself over time.
– Unplug Important Appliances & Electronics: If there is a storm coming your way, you can protect the electronics and appliances in your home by unplugging them while the storm is taking place.
Electrical Fixture Installations & More in Pompano Beach, Imperial Point, Plantation, Deerfield Beach, Boca Raton, Davie, Lighthouse Point, Parkland & Fort Lauderdale, Florida
If you are considering a whole home surge protection system, you can turn to Burley Electrical Services to make sure that it is installed properly to offer your home protection against the risks of a power surge. Call us today!