A lot goes on with your home’s electrical system though you may not think about the outlets and switches throughout your home. In order to function efficiently, your home’s outlets and switches require routine maintenance. Not only does a well maintained outlet or switch promote optimal performance, but it is a major safety aspect as well. Sensitive appliances can be destroyed, an electrocution, or even an electrical fire can ignite due to a damaged outlet. Thankfully, there are ways you can avoid such catastrophes by performing a little maintenance and we at Burley Electrical Services would like share them today.
Switch & Outlet Safety
Costing up to $1 billion in damages a year, there at least 25,000 of electrical home fires can be caused by a malfunctioning outlet. To ensure your safety and avoid excessive cost in repairs, upgrading and replacing the old outdated outlet and light switches can be the optimal choice.
1) Outlet/Light Switches Monitoring. It is important to check all the outlets and light switches periodically throughout the entire home. Don’t neglect the switches and outlets out of sight such as in basements, attics, and areas that might be hard to reach. The few outlets and switches that are infrequently used because of being in hidden locations can still pose a potential electrical threat.
2) Inspect the Electrical Plates. Though you cannot test the wiring for your switches and outlets, you can inspect the electrical plates when maintaining the outlets and switches. Another indicator of an electrical hazard, are damaged electrical plates. Check the plates for any discoloration, cracks, or burn marks when doing your inspection.
3) Invest in Quality Electrical Products. The electrical system in your home can be an expensive and to cut costs, some homeowners will try to cut costs by using inexpensive knock-off electrical products. In the event the electrical outlets and switches need to be replaced, it is best to invest in quality products.
4) Resist DIY Electrical Wiring Repairs. Unless you’re a licensed electrician with the proper training and know proper safety, you can severely injure yourself or cause property damage if you try to perform your home’s wiring. Not only can you hurt yourself or damage the home, but you can make the electrical issue far worse than it originally was. In the event something goes awry, a trained professional will know the protocol to remedy the situation.
5) Frequently Test Electrical Outlets. Testing your outlets and switches periodically can prevent damages and be an early detection to potential problems. Pay more attention to the outlets that have appliances plugged into them. There could be an issue with your home’s wiring if the lights tend to flicker when you use an appliance. An easy way to test your home’s outlets is outlet testers that are commonly found in local hardware stores and are fairly inexpensive. The testers have like a three-prong plug with lights on each prong. The device will indicate a problem if there is something amiss when plugged in. To avoid issues, test your outlets monthly.
6) Old Electrical Wiring Replacement. The initial wiring of your home could be the culprit when there are damaged outlets or switches. Another dangerous fire hazard that should be replaced immediately is old and outdated wiring to keep up with the demand of electrical use in your home. The wiring can be difficult and hazardous to work with, be sure you hire a licensed pro to do the job.
Electrical Inspections, Audits & More in Pompano Beach, Oakland Park, Plantation, Deerfield Beach, Boca Raton, Davie, Fort Lauderdale & South Florida
When it comes to your home’s electrical system, Burley Electrical Services is readily available with a variety of services from repairs to installations, to upgrades and maintenance, we have you covered to ensure the electrical work is done safely and efficiently! Contact us today!