It’s that time of year; temperatures are getting warmer and the air conditioner is getting flipped on more frequently. As the increased energy bill comes due along with the discomfort of the sun’s penetrated warmth, many homeowners and business owners alike are looking for ways to cut energy costs without sacrificing on cooling comforts.
Pros & Cons of Ceiling Fans
There are quite a few things everyone can and even should do to save some cash and keep the building cool, but a common solution is to utilize ceiling fans throughout the different rooms. Ceiling fans are truly helpful in the effort to your goal and today we at Burley Electrical Services would like to share the additional benefits of having ceiling fans installed in your home or business throughout the year.
Spring & Summer Fan Rotation
Warm months require the ceiling fans to be rotating counter clockwise for the full cooling potential they have to offer. With the leading edges of the fan blades pointing up, the cool air is pushed down. If you are in the market for a new install or replacement ceiling fan, ensure they are designed for energy efficiency to take full advantage of their use. Additionally, ceiling fans featuring UL rating or designed for damp or can be implemented on decks and patios for outside enjoyment.
Summer Advantages of Ceiling Fans
1) Assisting in the cooling process, using a ceiling fan will significantly reduce energy costs, up to 40%, related to the HVAC system in addition to keeping your space cooler.
2) In the event the air conditioning unit falls short, ceiling fans can be a handy backup to reduce the rising temperatures.
3) Flies have a tendency to stay clear of areas where there is a constant air current produced by a ceiling fan.
4) Ceiling fans are great at circulating air and keeping the air fresh.
Ceiling Fan Direction in Fall & Winter
Ceiling fans should rotate clockwise while the outside temperatures are cool to keep the warmer down from floating up. The fan blades leading edges will point down to help push the warm air to the lower levels.
Using Ceiling Fans in Winter
1) Energy costs are lowered by nearly 15%.
2) Reduces the need of space heaters and cluttered blankets.
How to Clean Ceiling Fans & Blades
Ceiling fans can help you with multiple advantages and benefits. In order for them to operate at their full potential, maintenance including keeping them clean is crucial. Even in constant movement, dust will settle and accumulate, not only causing ceiling fan failure, but also contribute to poor indoor air quality that can lead to sinus infection and allergy symptoms. Clean your fans every 1-3 months, depending on dust volume.
1) Tape the switch to the fan off in the off position for your safety.
2) Protecting the area below the fan, approximately double the circumference of the fans, such as any heavy furniture or fragile rugs is optimal.
3) Wipe away the excessive bulk with a feather duster, or dry cloth. Protect yourself with handkerchief if you are sensitive to dust or vinegar
4) Combine a spray bottle with clean water and add 2 Tbsp of distilled white vinegar. Spray the mixture onto a clean cloth to sponge on the mixture.
5) Wipe each blade down with the treated cloth.
6) Use a dry cotton cloth to polish and dry the blades after they are clean. Don’t neglect any light fixtures and motor.
Electrical Services in Pompano Beach, Boca Raton, Davie, Fort Lauderdale & South Florida
If you need assistance installing or replacing the ceiling fans for your Southern Florida home, contact the experts of Burley Electrical Services and let our professionals get them installed quickly and efficiently.