The electrical system in your home is something that many homeowners don’t think much about until there is something wrong with it. This can lead to serious injury and even loss of your home if you aren’t careful. It is important that you properly maintain your electrical system so that you don’t run into these serious issues. That means that you need to be diligent in looking for signs of a problem. There are some issues that are more serious than others too. Burley Electrical Services is here to share some signs that indicate you need the help of an electrician right away.
How Do I Know if My Electrical System is Bad?
Anytime you notice that there is something off with your electrical system, it is something that you want to have checked out by a licensed electrician. Look out for these signs that are largely indicative of an electrical problem somewhere in your system:
– Electrical Shocks: When you plug a device into an outlet in your home, you shouldn’t feel any electrical shock while doing so. If you feel a nasty little zing when plugging in a device, this is a sign that there is a more serious issue that needs to be addressed within your electrical system. When this happens, it could mean that the electrical wiring behind the switch or the outlet has lost its insulation or has become frayed.
– Charring Around Outlets or Switches: With time, you might notice that the outlet covers and switch covers in your house might become discolored. This means that they might have a tinge of yellow to them rather than being stark white. However, if you notice that there is any charring or it looks like the area around the outlet or switch has been burned, there is a more serious problem to be dealt with.
– Flickering Lights: Every now and then, you might notice that when your AC kicks on or another large appliance starts to run there is a small flicker in the lights. If this happens regularly, it can be a sign that you have overloaded circuits. This can be dangerous and can end up causing an electrical fire if you don’t get it fixed.
– Buzzing Sound: Any time you get close to an outlet or a switch and hear a buzzing sound, this is also a sign that there is something wrong. The wiring could have gone bad or there could be a loose connection somewhere behind the outlet or switch cover.
– Heat: If you have a light in your home that is hot to the touch or radiating heat, this is a sign that there is an issue as well. It is usually an indication that the light is not insulated well. This problem can be fixed by a qualified electrician.