Are you frustrated with your electricity bill? The price of electricity will only go up so it’s good to know about the ways you can reduce the cost of using it. By implementing and following these steps you can reduce your electrical bill by up to 40 %.
5 Ways to Local Electricity Bill in Your Apartment or House
1. Change to CFL bulbs. These are compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) and are the fastest and easiest way to keep some money in your pocket. CFLs use about 75% less energy and will last about 10X longer than incandescent bulbs, according to Energy Star. If your switch out your light bulbs on the most used fixtures in your home, you will save about $60 each year. The best savings will come when you choose CFLs with the Energy Star label.
2. Purchase energy star appliances. When it’s time to purchase any new appliance make sure you choose one that meets the strict standards of energy efficiency. These appliances will be clearly labeled. Most homes spend about $2,000 every year on energy bills and these appliances can reduce your energy bulls by 30%. That means an annual savings of around $600. Don’t think you have to change all your appliances. Just switching out your old refrigerator with a more efficient one will save you at least $110 a year on electricity.
3. Get rid of energy vampires. The electronics we use in our homes use a lot of electricity and they don’t have to be on to do it. The Department of Energy states that these “energy vampires” will use energy all day long and you’ll spend an extra $100 a year. To save electricity you can plug them all into a power strip and then just flip the power strip off when you’re not using these appliances. If you don’t want to do that you can just unplug any appliance you’re not using.
4. Clean your dryer vent. Not only will this step save you money, it will keep your family safe and your dryer working more efficiently. When your dryer lint screen is clogged it will drastically reduce the efficiency of it. Make sure you clean the lint trip after each use and have the ductwork cleaned once a year. Electric dryers use $85 of electricity each year. When the lint trap is dirty it can use 30% more electricity and cost you about $25 a year. This lint buildup is a aslo a common cause of fires.
5. Change your furnace filter. When you maintain your gas or electric furnace you’ll get two benefits: the furnace will run efficiently and last longer too. Make sure you change the filter once a month and do it all year round if the filter is used for AC. This filter works to protect the filter and its motor. If these filters are dirty it makes the motor work harder and therefore uses more power. Make sure you insert the new one the right way and label it so you can remember when it needs to be changed.