It’s easy to forget about the electrical wiring in your home as it is hidden behind the walls. Electricity is what makes our world go round. So, when something goes wrong with the electrical system in your home, most people are frantically working to get it fixed and figured out. If you live in an older home, it is important you make sure your home’s electrical system can keep up with the electrical demands of the world we live in today. Sometimes, when you have older wiring, you may not realize it is past it’s functional life. There are several signs that are present when there is something wrong with your electrical wiring. Burley Electrical Services is here to talk about some of the signs that you should be looking for in your electrical system that indicate some wiring has gone bad.
How Do You Know when You Need to Replace Your Wiring?
Something that many people may not know is that over half the houses in the US are 40 years old or older. This means that the wiring in these homes is more than likely old and needs replacing. Following are some of the things to look for in faulty wiring.
– Flickering Lights: Sometimes your lights will give you a brief flicker and then stop. If this is the case, you more than likely don’t need to worry about it. However, if your lights are flickering, dimming or making a humming noise on a regular basis, it is a sign that you have bad wiring.
– Tripped Breakers: It isn’t uncommon for a breaker to trip here and there. Truly, the breakers are there for that purpose. If your circuit is overloaded, they are designed to stop the flow of electricity to protect system. If you have a breaker that is frequently tripping, you need to look at what could be causing this overload. If unplugging a few things doesn’t stop the breaker from tripping, you could have a problem with some wiring somewhere in your electrical system.
– Hot Electrical Outlets: The outlets in your home shouldn’t be hot to the touch when you plug something into them. You should also be looking for any outlets that are dark or look like they have been scorched.
– Damaged Electrical Wiring: If you notice that there are any wires in your home that are frayed or have been chewed on, it’s a red flag. Rodents have a tendency to chew on wiring if they get into your home.
– Burning Smell: You shouldn’t smell anything burning or something resembling melted plastic. If that’s the case, call a professional electrician right away to take a look at things.
Electrical Inspections, Wiring, Repairs & More in Pompano Beach, Imperial Point, Plantation, Deerfield Beach, Boca Raton, Davie, Lighthouse Point, Parkland & Fort Lauderdale, Florida
If you are concerned about any of the electrical wiring in your home, you can trust the pros at Burley Electrical Services to help you get to the bottom of your electrical trouble. If there are repairs to be made, you know we will deliver exceptional service. Call us today!