The more and more we use electronics, the more demand we have to electrical outlets. Many houses that were built even 10 years ago, don’t have enough outlets to fulfill our electrical needs today. When you don’t have the outlets that you need, many people turn to power strips to get their extra outlets. There are many do’s and don’ts when it comes to power strips. Burley Electric Services is here to talk about some of those recommendations today.
How to Keep Your Home Safe with Power Strip Safety Tips
When you aren’t following safety guidelines while using power strips, you could put your home at risk of an electrical fire. Following are some of the safety tips we have to offer:
– Only use light-load appliances and electronics when using power strips. Some examples of light-load appliances include computers, lamps, phone chargers, etc.
– Always plug a power strip into an internal circuit breaker. This is a huge safety rule to ensure your home doesn’t fall victim to an electrical fire.
– When using a power strip, they should only only be used temporarily. They aren’t designed to be used for long periods of time and can overheat when you try to do so.
– Don’t daisy chain power strips. You could not only be at risk of an electrical issue, but it can cause damage to your appliances as well.
– Avoid moisture and water when using power strips. Never use them near a pool or kitchen and bathroom areas.
– Discontinue use of the power strip anytime that the strip feels warm to the touch. This is a sign that it is overheating.
– Don’t use a power strip as a permanent power solution. They are meant to be used for short term situations and shouldn’t become a permanent fixture in your home.
– Never staple, nail or try to secure a power strip to anything, and always make sure they aren’t covered.
Electrical Outlet Installation Services & More in Imperial Point, Pompano Beach, Plantation, Deerfield Beach, Boca Raton, Davie, Lighthouse Point, Parkland, Hollywood, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
If you find that you are constantly using power strips in your home, it is time to have more outlets installed. With the help of Burley Electric Services, we will inspect your home and map out any outlets that could benefit your home. You can also share your electrical needs in different areas of your home so that we can safely get some more outlets installed to fit your lifestyle. As we start to depend on electronics more and more to keep our homes functioning, these small improvements to your electrical system are necessary. You may not realize this, but your newer appliances in the kitchen and laundry rooms also require more power usage that your electrical system may not be able to handle. You can trust us to properly install new outlets and keep your home safe from the dangers of electrical fires. Call us today!