Depending on where you live, there are different building codes that business owners have to abide by. One thing that is common no matter where you are is that businesses are required to have a certain number of emergency lights throughout their building. Understanding what these lights are and why they are so important should be a primary focus for any business owner. Burley Electrical Services is here to talk about emergency lights and why they are so important for businesses.
Types of Emergency Lighting
There are many different types of emergency lights that all serve a different purpose for the building. Here are some of the different types of emergency lighting you might see when you walk into a business.
– Emergency Route Lighting: This helps point people to the nearest exit if an escape is needed.
– Emergency Escape Lighting: This helps customers find the exit safely in the case that it is needed.
– Anti-Panic or Open Area Lighting: Helps to illuminate walkways and stairways.
– Standby Lighting: In the case of a power outage, this allows the lights to stay on. There are two different kinds, maintained and non-maintained. Maintained lighting will be on always like exit lights found in a theatre, for instance. Non-maintained lighting only comes on when the power goes out.
Why is Emergency Lighting Important?
No matter where you live, there are going to be times where the normal electrical supply gets interrupted. These lights are important because they allow the lights to stay on even when the power is out. They are placed in strategic places like stairways, emergency exits and other key areas in the building so that there isn’t panic if power were supposed to be lost. It is there to help ensure safety to your tenants, employees, customers or anyone else that could possibly be found in your building.
Emergency Lighting Regulations & Requirements
When you are planning out the emergency lighting in your space, there are some considerations that you must make.
– Make sure that you have enough lighting that everyone can safely evacuate should the need arise.
– You should always follow the fire codes and standards that have been put in place.
– There needs to be an independent power source installed.
– Make sure you’re testing the emergency lights often to make sure they are working properly.
– Make sure you are hiring a professional commercial electrician to make sure the emergency lighting is installed properly.
Lighting Consultations, Fixture Installations, Electrical Wiring & More in Pompano Beach, Imperial Point, Plantation, Deerfield Beach, Boca Raton, Davie, Lighthouse Point, Parkland & Fort Lauderdale, Florida
If you are concerned about the emergency lighting in your building, you can turn to the professional electricians at Burley Electrical Services to make sure your building is as safe as possible for anyone that spends time there. Our team of highly qualified electricians are up to date on all of the standards and the codes that must be followed to keep your building safe. Call us today!