Do you see smoke coming out of an electrical outlet? When it comes from an outlet, it is a serious problem requiring immediate attention and the correct response. A smoking outlet can be dangerous and be the start of a house fire. Burley Electrical Services will share how to respond to a smoking outlet, what causes it, and what needs to be done to prevent any further electrical problems and potential disasters.
My Electrical Outlet Smells Like It’s Burning
When you see an outlet that has smoke coming out of it, the very first step is to ensure the safety of the household. Get everyone out of the home and far enough away from the home that no one can get injured. The next step is to turn off the circuit breaker to the line where the smoke is coming from. As it is an emergency, don’t guess which circuit it is. You can simply turn off all of the breaker to ensure the right one is switched off if needed. If there is no sign of a fire erupting once the power is shut off, you can enter the home and unplug anything that may be connected to the outlet. Using a flashlight (if needed), inspect the outlet. If smoke continues to come out and the outlet feels hot, it may be in your best interest to call 911. If there is a presence of a small fire coming from the outlet you must use a CO2 extinguisher which can put out electrical fires. Never use water on electrical components. If you don’t have a CO2 extinguisher, then leave the home and wait for fire fighters. If the smoke stops and there is no sign of a fire, you will then need to determine what caused the smoke and correct the issue before restoring power to that circuit. Do not turn power back on until a professional electrician inspects the outlet and the circuit for the cause of the smoke.
Why is My Outlet Smoking?
There can be a number of reasons why smoke will come out of an outlet. The presence of smoke is the fact that something is burning and a fire could be underway. One of the first reasons why smoke will come from an outlet is wiring issues. It could be that wires are loose, there might be a damaged connection, or a faulty ground is in the circuit. Essentially there is burning or a fire occurring within the walls and the smoke is coming out of the outlet. When the inner wiring is exposed they get very hot. Sparks can occur causing a fire. Another possible cause for the smoke is in the outlet itself. If dirt or other forms of debris get caught inside the outlet the debris can get hot enough to begin burning. Small kids are notorious for sticking odd items in outlets, so keep an eye on your little ones and have outlet covers on all outlets in the home. When an outlet overloads due to stress from too many electrical devices plugged into the wall, it can lead to a number of different problems including overheating and a fire. Never overload one single outlet in a home and make sure the circuit isn’t overloaded either. Lastly, a loose connection or corrosion around the outlet once again can cause overheating and sparks which can trigger a fire.