We love our homes and are proud of them, but the last thing you want to deal with are pests that have decided to make our homes theirs! If you find wires in your home that have been chewed on, you have rodents in your home. Rodents have front teeth that never stop growing so they need to chew on anything they can find to control the length of them. This may be an interesting piece of information, but not when they decide to chew on your wires. Rodents can do a lot of damage on the wiring in your home and can be very harmful too! When rodent infestations aren’t taken care of there can be permanent damage.
Damage Caused by Rodents
• Damage to electrical appliances. Power surges and arcing increase when wires are damaged. This can permanently harm your appliances.
• Costly electrical wire damage. One damaged wire can be bad enough. Left unchecked, rodents can cause massive damage to the entire electrical network in your home.
• Risk of electrical fires. The most dangerous thing about damaged wires is that they can contact flammables when they are exposed and start an electrical fire. The National Fire Protection Association reports that fires caused by home electrical failure or malfunction kill more than 420 people per year. Injuries associated with these fires average 1,370 every year. The annual cost for dealing with electric induced home fires tops $1.4 billion in property damage.
How to Keep Rodents from Chewing Electrical Wires
1. Keep your home clean. A clean home will keep rodents away. Make sure crawl spaces and other small areas are kept clean to discourage nesting and help you spot a problem as soon as it starts.
2. Seal openings to your home. Your home is a temperature-controlled place for rodents that is stocked with food. Seal openings to keep them out.
3. Limit roof access. Trim branches that may help rodents get onto your roof.
4. Avoid biodegradable storage. A trash can with last night’s leftovers is an invitation for rodents. Keep all trash in cans that are tamper-proof.
Electrical Repair Services in Pompano Beach, Oakland Park, Plantation, Deerfield Beach, Boca Raton, Davie, Fort Lauderdale & South Florida
Traps can be useful to control rodents, but they aren’t very reliable. Unfortunately, there isn’t a magical rodent proof wire coating so it’s up to you as a homeowner to prevent rodents for getting into your home in the first place. What if you already have a rodent problem? If you discover you’re dealing with rodents, you need to call professional pest control. Spending the money to do it will ensure they take care of the infestation and prevent a future one. Left unchecked, a rodent infestation will end up costing you a lot more money when you’re forced to repair damage to the wiring in your home. Damage needs to be corrected safely and quickly. Unfortunately, the problem is usually discovered after there’s been an accident because they are chewing in areas that are hidden. It’s important to correct rodent induced electrical problems for the safety of your family and your home. If your home has suffered wire damage contact Burley Electrical Services for help.