Homes aren’t the only structure that is at risk for electrical fires. Commercial buildings are susceptible for electrical fires as well, and especially in buildings that are 25 years old or older. There are different factors in commercial building wiring that could cause a fire. Burley Electrical Services will cover some common issues that can occur with commercial wiring and why it is important to rewire or inspect commercial building’s wiring every few years.
Factors Causing Fires Due to Electrical Systems
1. Knob and Tube Electrical Wiring – Knob and tube wiring is a common type of wiring used in commercial buildings, especially in older buildings. Knob and tube wiring isn’t the cause of electrical fire, but if they get chewed on by rodents or damaged where the internal wires get exposed, they can cause electrical fires which is why commercial wiring should be inspected every few years or after a rodent infestation.
2. Low Amp Wiring – One of the top leading electrical fire risks is that the amp requirements for building needs are too low. Depending on the nature of the business and equipment used, the original wiring doesn’t meet the power needs. This causes faulty circuits or overloads the circuit broad which in turn, causes sparks and fires.
3. Poor Electrical Wire Modifications – In older buildings where the wiring has been modified for the power needs of a growing business. Sometimes the wiring can be installed incorrectly or poorly and doesn’t follow all the safety regulations. When wiring is poorly installed or modified, this could lead to several problems including fire risks.
4. Old Electrical Wiring – Buildings that have never updated their wiring and is 15 years or older are at risk of having a fire. Wiring often gets damaged by pests, screws nails which expose bare wiring as explained before, is one of the leading causes of all electrical fires. When wire gets to a certain age, it is recommended that you rewire the building with updated wiring and cables to add to the buildings over all safety.
5. Faulty Breakers – Wiring isn’t the only cause of electrical fire. Faulty breakers are another concern for electrical fires. To help prevent faulty breakers it helps to replace them or upgrade to handle the buildings current power needs. Overloads don’t just cause the building to lose power, but sometimes a spark occurs in the wrong spots where the prefect recipe for a fire occurs.
6. Poor Electrical Design – Usually found in older buildings, the wiring wasn’t installed properly. Over time electrical designs have improved and certain regulations were put in place to insure electrical safety. In older homes these regulations didn’t exist and the wiring that was installed may be prone to electrical fires. To insure your commercial property is safe, it is important to inspect or rewire the building for safety and that the wiring is up to code.
Electrical Wiring Services & More in Pompano Beach, Oakland Park, Plantation, Deerfield Beach, Boca Raton, Davie, Fort Lauderdale & South Florida
Burley Electrical Services provides both inspection and rewiring services along with many other electrical services. If your commercial building or property is having electrical problems, or is older than 20 to 25 year old, consider having the electrical system inspected and possibly replaced to ensure the power needs are met and your building is safe. Contact Burley Electrical Services for all your residential and commercial electrical needs!