Electricity is a wonderful convenience that allows us a great more deal of comfort and accessibility to an easier lifestyle than those who lived without it. Electricity makes it possible for us to enjoy watching the big game on our big screen television while enjoying our favorite beverage that has been cooled by our refrigerator. We can surf the internet, listen to our favorite Beatles album and text with our family all thanks to the power of electricity. Electricity is responsible for powering every appliance and electronic device that we rely on every single day. While electricity is a great friend to have, it can also become a danger in our homes if we do not give it the respect it deserves.
When most people think of a source of strong conductors of electricity; objects like power lines, large wires and metal usually come to mind. However, the human body can also become a very powerful conductor of electricity, and when electric currents hit the body, several types of injury can occur, causing you or your loved ones harm. It is important to become familiar with potential electronic dangers that are in your home and how to avoid becoming a victim of electrocution.
Extension Cords Electrical Safety
Extension cords are handy tools that normally come out about this time of year. Whether you are decorating for Halloween or already planning to have the brightest lit house this Christmas season, you are likely to be using one or more extension cords to get the job done and have your lights looking the way you want. Not only are extension cords a great way to light up the house, but they can also provide extra power outlets in areas that do not have enough places to plug into. Extension cords can cause electrical burns and shock if they are not used properly. Extension cords that have exposed wires should never be used and thrown out immediately.
Electrical Outlet Shock Injuries
Another common house hold item that can cause electric shock or burns is your electrical outlets. While these provide you with areas to plug in your television, DVRs, major appliances and hair dryers, they can also become a danger, especially to younger children. For some reason electrical outlets seem to be extremely inviting to kids, especially when it comes to putting foreign objects into the holes of the electrical outlet. This is extremely dangerous and can also be the cause of house fires. Purchase electrical outlet plugs that cover up unused outlets and are difficult for younger children to remove.