When you think of the maintenance that needs to be performed in your home, is your electrical system on that list? If it isn’t, it should be. Your electrical system plays a key role in your home and is one of the most important systems to keep maintained. Part of maintaining an electrical system comes with a safety checklist to ensure you’re doing everything in your power to keep you and those you love safe from electrical fires. Burley Electrical Services is here to share our home electrical safety check list to help you prepare one for your home.
Electrical Safety Checklist Essentials
There are several things that should be included in every electrical safety check list for any home. Following are some that you should remember:
– Extension Cords: While extension cords come in handy in several situations, they should never be a permanent fixture in your home. They are designed for a temporary solution, and most of them aren’t designed to help power large appliances like a refrigerator or washer and dryer. If your extension cord isn’t being used, remember to unplug it.
– Dimming Lights: If you have dimmer switches installed on some of the lights in your home, then a dimming light is completely normal. If your lights all of a sudden dim when an appliance kicks on, or at other random times, it is time to call on a professional to check things out and see what the cause may be.
– Electrical Outlets: There are several signs that indicate a problem with your outlets. This may include any cracking or breaking the outlet covers, plugs that are only loosely fitting into the outlet or outlets that aren’t working at all. Replacing outlets should be done by a professional and you should never try to bend or force a plug into an outlet. Another thing to consider with your outlets is tamper resistant outlets. Even if you don’t have children in your home, you want to know your outlets are safe in the case that you have children visiting your home.
– GFCI Outlets: If there is an area in your home that is near water on a regular basis, it should be a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) outlet. This will cause it to trip if it comes in contact with water and offers protection to your home.
– Grounded Wiring: It is important that all the circuits in your home are grounded. Circuits are wires that are transporting electrical current to your appliances and lighting and need to be properly grounded for safety.
Home Electrical Maintenance Services & More in Imperial Point, Pompano Beach, Plantation, Deerfield Beach, Boca Raton, Davie, Lighthouse Point, Parkland, Hollywood, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
If you haven’t given much thought to maintaining your home’s electrical system, you may not know where to start. At Burley Electrical Services, we offer home electrical maintenance to ensure your electrical system is working properly and is able to the job it is intended for safely. Call us today!