It is time to begin our Christmas light displays both inside and outside your home. But wait! Before you begin, Burley Electrical Services strongly encourages you to go through your electrical system and lights and make sure there are no future problem that can cause blow outs, or worse, an electrical fire. Burley Electrical Services will share with you a safety checklist to make sure that the joyous season isn’t ruined with an unexpected accident.
Christmas Holiday Lighting Inspection & Troubleshooting
Starting with the lights and trees, we will guide you in conducting a proper search of problems that need attention.
1. Check each strand of lights for indoor and outdoor, new or old, for any broken or cracked sockets, frayed or exposed wires and loose connections. Do not use if any of these problems are found.
2. Don’t connect lights while you are hanging or wrapping them around the tree. Instead inspect the plugs and connect them together before you hang them in or outside your home.
3. Use lights for either indoor or outside use if they have been tested for safety. The box should be labeled with Underwriter’s Laboratories (UL).
4. For tree lights, make sure the bulbs don’t make direct contact with the tree needles or branches. You can accomplish this by using a small clip to keep the bulbs upright or you can try to twist them upwards.
5. Unplug all tree and other decorations, indoor or outdoor, that use electricity before leaving your home or even going to sleep for the night.
6. If you are looking to buy an artificial, pre-lit tree, make sure the label clearly states that it is flame resistant.
Electrical & Extension Cord & Outlet Safety Checks
Cord and outlet safety checks are very important. You should inspect each one before the holiday seasons and before you begin Christmas decorating.
1. For safety, always keep cords out of wet areas, and away from metal objects. If not, you risk an electrical fire or blowout.
2. If you are using an extension cord for indoor or outdoor light and decorations, make sure it is labeled with the UL, this mean it was tested and approved for proper safety.
3. Uncoil your extension cords and do a full inspection for any exposed wires and keep them away from any heat source and bulbs.
4. Never use rugs, door mats, or any other kinds of material not approved to cover cords.
5. Don’t feed extension cords through windows and doorways where the cords can become pinched or worn. This can eventually expose the inside wires. In turn, this can create an electrical fire.
6. Don’t over use one outlet. This all too often create blow outs. The resulting sparks can cause many fires that consume many homes during the holidays.
Lighting Consultations & Electrical Work in Pompano Beach, Boca Raton, Davie, Fort Lauderdale & South Florida
The last thing Burley Electrical Services wants to hear is that a home was lost to an electrical fire due to poor safety of their holiday lighting or decorations. We hope you take the time to do a thorough inspection of your home’s electrical system and take the proper precautions for a safe holiday season. If you have any concerns you can contact Burley Electrical Services. We can conduct a thorough inspection of your entire electrical system and make sure your family is safe.