If you have ever lived in a home that has ceiling fans, you know what a drastic difference it can make in keeping you comfortable in the heat of the summer. Ceiling fans are one of the most cost efficient ways to stay cool. The constant air circulation they offer lends reprieve from the dog days of summer. If you have a home that doesn’t have ceiling fans in it, you may want to consider what it would take to purchase and have some installed. Burley Electrical Services is here to talk about the process that is required to install a ceiling fan where there currently isn’t a fixture.
Do You Need an Electrician to Install New Ceiling Fan Wiring
If there is no fixture where you are wanting your ceiling fan installed, new wiring will need to be installed. There are many DIYers that may think this is a task they can watch a video and learn how to do it on their own, but that is seriously discouraged. Working with electrical wiring carries with it serious danger of electrical shock when you don’t have the training and experience needed to do it safely. Here are the steps a licensed electrician would take to install new wiring.
– Turn Off Electricity: This may be a no-brainer, but the power will need to be turned off to the wires that will deliver electricity to the ceiling fan. This is the most important step.
– Location: The location of the ceiling fan will need to be chosen during these beginning stages as well. This sounds like a small step, but ceiling fans can be anywhere from 15-50 pounds and will need to have support joists.
– Install an Electrical Box: The electrical box will then be installed. If there is a joist near, the box will attach directly to that. If the fan will be between two joists, there will need to be a a brace and saddle used to give the fan the support it needs.
– Wiring: Wires will need to be installed that run from the light switch, up the wall and to the ceiling fan. This can be done using fishing tape to feed the wires to the proper place.
– Mounting: Once the wiring is complete, the ceiling fan can be mounted and fully installed. This can be tricky if you have never mounted a ceiling fan before. Between the weight of it and attaching the wires properly, it can be a big job.
Fixture Installation & More in Pompano Beach, Imperial Point, Plantation, Deerfield Beach, Boca Raton, Davie, Lighthouse Point, Parkland & Fort Lauderdale, Florida
If you would like to have ceiling fans installed in your home for the summer months, you can count on the electricians at Burley Electrical Services to do a fantastic job. We will make sure it is done right and that your ceiling fan has the support as well as the wiring needed to keep you cooler this summer. Call us today!