Discount services are all the rage these days. Well let’s face it, when haven’t they been? We all want to save money. But when it comes to electricians it’s not a good idea to go with the cheapest option. Handyman services that offer electrical work or budget electricians may not be licensed and can spell disaster.
Dangers of Hiring an Unlicensed Electrician
1. The problem may become worse. When it comes to electricity this is the biggest danger. The simplest problem can turn into a huge disaster if they aren’t taken care of properly and most discount electricians can’t do the job perfectly. Trying to save money can turn appliance wiring into complete wire replacement or a breaker replacement into panel replacement.
2. You may get quick fix services. Time is money. When a handyman isn’t charging you as much as others, chances are they are trying to work as quickly as possible to get on to the next job. When the quick fix fails, the problem will be back. You will then have to spend more money to get it fixed properly. Total cost will be more than if you have hired the right electrician in the first place.
3. Work that is not licensed. Having a licensed electrician means they are also insured. Many of the electricians you hire on a budget aren’t. That means you may have the same problem in the event the job fails, making you responsible for extra costs, not them!
So, how do you know when you need the services of an electrician?
How Do You Know if You Have Electrical Problems & Need an Electrician?
1. Tripping circuit breakers. You may have circuits that are overloaded if you have breakers that trip frequently. It may also indicate that you have a short in your wiring.
2. Electrical shocks. You likely have a short circuit in your electrical system if you get shocked when you flip a switch or plug in a device. It can happen when wires lose their insulation or become frayed through normal wear and tear.
3. Flickering lights. Lights that flicker or dim when appliances are turned on is a problem. You may have large appliances sharing power that really need to have their own circuit. This problem can also occur with smaller appliances if too many are pulling power for the same circuit.
4. Buzzing sounds. Loose connections can cause buzzing sounds to come from outlets and switches. It can also be a sign that wiring is already burnt or corroded.
5. Discolored/charred outlets and switches. You may have had a small fire behind an outlet or switch if there is any discoloration. It can also indicate that a loose wire has caused a spark in the junction box that resulted in arcing.
6. Moisture around electricity. Water and electricity do not mix. Rust around your electrical panel is an indication that moisture in around and can put your while system at risk.
Electrical Wiring, Fixture Installations & More in Pompano Beach, Imperial Point, Plantation, Deerfield Beach, Boca Raton, Davie, Lighthouse Point, Parkland & Fort Lauderdale, Florida
It’s important to have any electrical work in your home performed by a qualified electrician like Burley Electrical Services to ensure it meets all necessary safety standards. Contact the professionals at Burley Electrical Services today!