Do you ever think about the outlets in your home? Chances are, they aren’t on the forefront of your thoughts on a regular basis. That is, until you have a problem with them, and they aren’t working as they should. With the electrical demands that our homes face today, if you have an older home and electrical system, it could very well be time to upgrade your outlets. Burley Electrical Services is here to talk about the signs that you may notice when it is time to give your outlets an upgrade.
Should I Replace Old Electrical Outlets?
There are many signs that indicate that your outlets are having a hard time keeping up with your electrical needs. Here are some of the signs that you should be aware of.
– Sparking & Heat from Outlet: When your outlets are sparking or hot, your home is in danger of a house fire. This is a serious problem that need attention right away. Even when your outlets feels warm to the touch, you should have it looked at by a professional.
– Broken Outlet Covers: This may sound like a simple cosmetic issue, but it isn’t. The problem could be much more serious than that. When your cover is compromised, it could be letting dust, dirt and debris to get in the way of your electrical system. This can cause damage that can be dangerous.
– Flickering Lights: When lights are flickering and plugged into an outlet, this is a sign that your outlet isn’t able to keep up with the electrical demands that you are putting on it. This issue needs to be addressed right away.
– Two-Pronged Outlets: All outlets need to be grounded. When they only have two prongs, this means that they are not. This is not safe and doesn’t meet electrical codes. You will need to change them out right away for grounded outlets.
Should You Upgrade Outlets when Upgrading Appliances?
Many new appliances are coming with the ability to contribute to transforming your home into a smart home. This comes with greater electrical demands. If you are upgrading your appliances, it is likely time to upgrade your outlets too so that they can support these new appliances. Here are some of the most common appliances that require you to upgrade outlets as well.
– Washers & Dryers
– Portable Air Conditioners
Electrical Wiring, Fixture Installations & More in Pompano Beach, Imperial Point, Plantation, Deerfield Beach, Boca Raton, Davie, Lighthouse Point, Parkland & Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Most GFCI outlets will last for about 15 to 25 years, but in certain circumstances, they can fail after 5 years. If you are unsure as to whether or not you need to upgrade the outlets in your home, you can count on the extensive knowledge and training of the electricians at Burley Electrical Services to offer you the expertise needed in this area. We can inspect your electrical system and let you know if it is in your best interest to replace and upgrade your outlets to better suit your electrical needs. We will offer you the right electrical solutions for your home. Call us today!